School visits are an important part of integration of therapy skills into the learning environment, regardless of whether it is a mainstream or special school. It is important to address specific environmental demands and the social factors that may influence a child’s motor performance and confidence in their physical abilities.
Our school visits will be most productive if the school teacher and/or principal is aware of our visit and can find a suitable time to discuss the challenges the child may have in the school environment prior to the visit, so we have ample time to prepare for the appointment and bring along any necessary equipment.
We are also able to facilitate:
- Education for school teachers and teacher aides
- Manual handling training for the child’s individual needs
- Liaison and organisation of equipment technicians or rehabilitation engineers to trial and prescribe customised or adaptive learning, transfer or other physical equipment for the child
- Assessments with external paediatric occupational therapists and speech pathologists for further holistic care
- Teach appropriate behavioural and other required strategies to maximise the child’s physical abilities at school, and integration with peers as much as possible
- One on one therapy supports at school if required